I was invited to paint the box artwork by Taschen based on the layout design by M/M Design of Paris. The idea was to capture some of the traditional look of illustration yet also have a clean simple design.
The image was painted in oils and scanned by the chaps at Cie-Elle Digital Imaging. I made all other adjustments digitally.
The black areas were easily cleaned up by re-painting them digitally. Stars were added on a separate layer digitally rather than me painting them in by flicking oil paint around with a tooth brush! We had some placement adjustments to make and a format change right at the end which necessitated some major digital work to the final image but all in all it came out pretty much as per the layout.
Before I got to the final large format painting, I did knock out a study of HAL’s red eye. I was hoping to go looser with the painting as can be seen with the study but the final version works as a clean design.
Many thanks to Taschen Books and M/M Paris for the opportunity to contribute to such a wonderful project.
Another update with the next Interzone cover for issue 251.
This painting started life as a small watercolour sketch, became a small oil painting study (as seen in Spectrum 20) and has progressed here as the cover painting for Interzone’s next issue and doubles as larger study for a final painting that is currently in progress. The format may be different but I wanted to see the structure at full size and alter the colour and lighting a bit for more air.
The final Levitation painting will be in my favorite wide format at 46″ x 18″ (116cm x 46cm).
This image was all digital, basically I started roughing out one side of the face and mirrored it. I was looking at religious icon paintings as inspiration for this robot priest, R Brother Patch-It.
Enjoy the painting and if you get the chance, read Lavie’s Central Station series of short stories, which you can find in Interzone.. Brilliant stuff!
ps. Andy at Interzone has asked me to paint the six covers (bi-monthly editions) through 2014 following on the heels of the great Jim Burns, which I’m super excited about. Now I just have to work out WHAT I’m going to paint. Thanks Andy!
New painting for Interzone Magazine issue #247 out in print soon. This painting was a great challenge, for a story titled, The Pursuit of the Whole is Called Love by L.S. Johnson. Not in my usual comfort zone but it was fun to do. Was it the right take on the story? I’m not sure, but I’ll leave that up to the readers when it comes out soon.
Here is the painting, enjoy!
And for Kammi who requested a look at my palette. The most intense colour here is the Cad Yellow Lemon and Ultramarine Blue, the rest being mostly earth colours.
ImagineFX magazine have just published a new specialty magazine, or bookazine as they call them titled, Fantasy Illustrator. The mag is dedicated to traditional Fantasy/SF illustration and I was asked to contribute a short tutorial. I choose to paint a simple oil painting study outlining the basics of value control and how you can use your smart phone or tablet to shoot the painting in progress in B/W. This helps you keep track of your values without colour confusing the issue!
The painting is based on one of my sketches set within the Sky Burial series.
Here is a look at the magazine cover.
I created four small thumbnails for variations in mood, contrast and atmosphere.
Using the iPad to check relative values in B/W without being distracted by colour.
The final painting in B/W..
..and in colour.
Many thanks to Ian Dean at ImagineFX. Head out and pick up a copy as it should be out now.
By now Interzone issue 246 should be out so I thought I’d post the second interior illustration I painted for that issue. This one is for a story titled Sentry Duty by Nigel Brown. The story is a little retro in style so I tried to give the image a similar feel. It’s full of humor with a little sting in it’s moral tail!
Thanks again to Andy Cox at TTA Press.
21″ x 14.5″, Oil on Canson Paper.
The light flare coming from the ship is mostly digital as I was short on time and needed to scan a dry painting!