This post is for you all you Maze fans who may like to see the concept art which @wesball posted on Twitter this week. Here are the two images I created with some small pencil roughs that I did to explore the compositions. I have also re posted the original pencil sketch I did for the poster idea.
Now that director Wes Ball has let the cat out of the concept art bag, I thought I’d re-post the sketch I did several months ago when Wes approached me to work on Maze Runner.
This was a tiny 1.5″ thumbnail sketch I drew up (whilst working on The Wolverine) which I then scanned and painted in some rough colour. Wes used that as a guide to render out the final poster image and give the walls of the Maze a real sense of scale.
If you think this image of the glade is cool you should see the two other concept paintings I did for Wes.. But I guess you will all have to wait a while to see those! 😉
Just a news update to let you all know what I’ve been up to lately. Just before Christmas last year I finished off two concept paintings for the Maze Runner film. I was slated to keep going on this but production so far hasn’t needed me.
I was also asked to finish off two new Wolverine concept paintings by Fox which was great. The moment the film comes out I’ll have my Wolverine concept art up. One other film job I can’t mention has also crossed my desk these last coupe of weeks.
I’m working.. (slowly) with Marianne de Pierres on a short graphic novel project called Sentients of Orion: The Hue, that I’m itching to get back onto.. Sorry Marianne, we’ll get there!!
On the scifi side I’m painting two interior illustrations for Interzone magazine and working on an oil painting tutorial for ImagineFX magazine.
The Concept Art course that I was going to help teach at Randwick TAFE didn’t pan out, but an even better course looks to have risen from North Sydney TAFE. So a good chance I’ll be teaching there later this year and into 2014. This course will be a more intensive program of Illustration for the Film, Games and Publishing industries.
In amongst all of that I have repaired roofs, dug drainage and replaced pipe work and finally.. finally found the source of my studio flooding!!
Anyway, enough of that.. here is the cover image for the GN project I’m doing with Marianne. Enjoy!