Tag: 4 x 5"

RMIT Studio Photography, 2nd year..

Here are some more images that I created in my 2nd year at RMIT. Each of these incorporated some sort of special effect, photographic effect or trickery. No lith composites here, these were earlier than that..

This was a forced perspective shot, the model is sitting on a triangle shaped piece of perspex, which is also lit from below. The lights in the side ‘buildings’ were created by scratching away the film emulsion.

This was a forced perspective shot, the model is sitting on a triangle shapped piece of perspex, which is also lit from below. The lights in the side 'buildings' were created by scratching away the film emulsion.

This weird ‘air plant’ was shot under water. I had a clear perspex tank built, with rounded corners at the back so I had a continuous bg. Filled it with water and a touch of milk, covered the top with card that had holes in it and stuck a spot light on it.

This weird 'air plant' was shot under water. I had a clear perspex tank built, with rounded corners at the back so I had a continuous bg. Filled it with water and a touch of milk, covered the top with card that had holes in it and stuck a spot light on it.

How I stopped it from floating to the top!
How I stopped it from floating to the top!

The floating crystal! Mini die cast soldiers, cheap model, and not enough smoke!

The floating crystal! Mini die cast soldiers, cheap model, and not enough smoke!

And my Steampunk Snapper! Genetic engineering gone wild? Not really, just a fish from the market, frozen and thick aluminum sheeting nailed into it’s frozen body. I had to constantly keep freezing it as it would start to thaw out, I’d be hammering away and ‘squish’… time for the fridge again! Then I stunk out the entire 2nd year studio the following day. That hole in the side of its body does have a small pea bulb light illuminating the gears.. and I took out the other eye to get a second pea bulb in behind the remaining eye!

Genetic engineering gone wild! Not really, just a fish from the market, frozen and thick aluminium sheeting nailed into it's frozen body. I had to constantly keep freezing it as it would start to thaw out, I'd be hammering away and 'squish'... time for the fridge again! Then I stunk out the entire 2nd year studio the following day.

More Optical Composites.. Cira 1985 – 1992





Variations on the theme of last post.. I couldn’t quite get perfect comps using this optical process, could have been my dodgy carpeted bedroom – makes for a bad studio – or that I was using an on-camera flash head – hand held – to expose the lith film in the laundry, may have all had something to do with the misalignment of the two elements. Still, I managed.. 

But as I said in the last post, Photoshop came out and I had to learn a whole new world.

Building the model kits was half the fun of course! 

Compositing.. The old fashioned way! 1985-1992

Ah.. the good ol’ days of imaging yore and a little Star Wars miniature photography. Are you tired of computers and long for a return to simpler times? I’m tired of computers but there is NO way I would go back into a darkroom just to comp two images together and wait a week for the result!
Here are some of my early attempts at image compositing – created WITHOUT a computer, using optical compositing tools, ie. cameras and film.
I used a 4″x 5″ view camera, litho film (as a mask), paper punch, a pin registration system (to keep the film aligned), a dark room and lots of patience!
Not sure if I still have it but I wrote up a manual on how to composite multi-element images together using a 35mm slide copier, lith film way back in my 9th and 10th year in secondary school.
The Process..
1. Beauty shot.
2. Is the same model, same position only backlit and all modeling light turned off.. (could have done better here and saved myself time in the darkroom later..)
Get those two shots processed at the lab and wait for their return…
From here I would painstakingly align both the beauty shot and silhouette shot together and tape them together.. Then I would punch them with a paper punch. If this was out, the whole thing would be out!
3. Is a Lith Film contact print of #2. Lith film is a super high contrast, super fine grain orthographic film. ie Pure black against clear film base. Which gives you a MASK!
4. Is #3 taped up with black tape and/or matte black paint to create a garbage matte.
5. Is a Lith contact of #4. Every time you make a lith contact you get a negative.
6. Is a lith contact of #5
** What I haven’t shown here is the BG image, which I cant seem to find unfortunately.
Okay, so I have a Beauty shot of the model, a BG image and two lith masks. All of these are pin registered and in alignment (hopefully) together.
7. Is the #1(Beauty shot) pinned onto the board and along with the lith mask #6 over the top of it.
I then shoot this with my 4″ x 5″ large format camera. I re-cock the shutter and leave the film in the back. Only the portion of the frame that has the model in it is exposed, the remainder of the frame is still UN-exposed.
8. Is the same as #7 except that the BG image has lith mask #5 placed over it. Then another exposure made onto the same piece of film as in step #7.
9. Final composite after it has been returned from the lab…
No sooner had I started to come to grips with this process, I found Photoshop!