I was invited to paint the box artwork by Taschen based on the layout design by M/M Design of Paris. The idea was to capture some of the traditional look of illustration yet also have a clean simple design.
The image was painted in oils and scanned by the chaps at Cie-Elle Digital Imaging. I made all other adjustments digitally.
The black areas were easily cleaned up by re-painting them digitally. Stars were added on a separate layer digitally rather than me painting them in by flicking oil paint around with a tooth brush! We had some placement adjustments to make and a format change right at the end which necessitated some major digital work to the final image but all in all it came out pretty much as per the layout.
Before I got to the final large format painting, I did knock out a study of HAL’s red eye. I was hoping to go looser with the painting as can be seen with the study but the final version works as a clean design.
Many thanks to Taschen Books and M/M Paris for the opportunity to contribute to such a wonderful project.
Quick note to let you know I have just made some basic layout changes which I hope are cleaner and clearer to look at and the site now has a static front page to replace the old one that I made in iWeb!! So when you type in www.ankaris.com, you will be taken directly to the new static home page.
And from this coming Monday I start teaching the Colour/Light subject of the Production Art Department (PAD) Diploma at North Sydney Institute.
I am still painting concept art for film clients, finishing off the last of four book covers for Momentum Books (a new Matthew Reilly book) and painting my own science fiction paintings for Illuxcon.
Another update with the next Interzone cover for issue 251.
This painting started life as a small watercolour sketch, became a small oil painting study (as seen in Spectrum 20) and has progressed here as the cover painting for Interzone’s next issue and doubles as larger study for a final painting that is currently in progress. The format may be different but I wanted to see the structure at full size and alter the colour and lighting a bit for more air.
The final Levitation painting will be in my favorite wide format at 46″ x 18″ (116cm x 46cm).
Thought I’d share my new painting palette with you all. It is one of the last things I needed to re-build in order to get painting again on a larger scale.
It’s pretty basic, 18mm marine ply as a base with thin 9mm strips around the edges, basic hinges in back for the lid, mid grey paper under cut glass for the palette section. The palette top is screwed to an Ikea table base which I had to cut down for my particular circumstances.
If I have paint mixtures sitting there from a painting session, the lid closes to keep dust, dirt and insects off.