Sketches 004 to 006 now up for your viewing pleasure.
ps. By the way, I have started a BigCartel site to handle all of my SciFi art sales. Everything is now in the one place which has streamlined the process. It means I can update print products quickly without having to add html code to this site and BigCartel takes care of shopping carts for multiple purchases.
Long time no blog.. I was a bit worn out after Illuxcon and the holiday period. I’ve also been ramping up for my second year of teaching at PAD which has involved a bit of re-engineering of the course as we strive for better delivery.
I have however been active illustrating for UK’s oldest SF magazine, Interzone. This time it was an honour to illustrate a short story by Alastair Reynolds called, A Murmuration.
This was done entirely in ink with pen and brush. I did of course use Photoshop for some clean up.
In a few days I will actually be able to update this post with my own pictures from the artists reception. Can’t wait!
Many thanks to the photographer!
To be updated…
As promised here is a picture of Sky Burial #2 hanging at the base of the stairs on the lower level of the Society of Illustrators. I shot this after my return from Illuxcon, not on the night of the artists reception… explains the lack of people!
If you ever get to NY, you must drop in and see what they have on their walls.
I was invited to paint the box artwork by Taschen based on the layout design by M/M Design of Paris. The idea was to capture some of the traditional look of illustration yet also have a clean simple design.
The image was painted in oils and scanned by the chaps at Cie-Elle Digital Imaging. I made all other adjustments digitally.
The black areas were easily cleaned up by re-painting them digitally. Stars were added on a separate layer digitally rather than me painting them in by flicking oil paint around with a tooth brush! We had some placement adjustments to make and a format change right at the end which necessitated some major digital work to the final image but all in all it came out pretty much as per the layout.
Before I got to the final large format painting, I did knock out a study of HAL’s red eye. I was hoping to go looser with the painting as can be seen with the study but the final version works as a clean design.
Many thanks to Taschen Books and M/M Paris for the opportunity to contribute to such a wonderful project.