The Kindest Man in Stormland . Interzone #249

The Kindest Man in Stormland . Interzone #249

Howdy folks,

Here is the latest interior illustration for a story called The Kindest Man in Stormland by John Shirley for the upcoming #249 issue of Interzone Magazine. A near future story where the sea level has risen and inundated coastal cities.

I decided I would have a go at doing this illustration more in the style of a graphic novel, inked and then coloured with watercolour. I wasn’t happy with the final watercolour result so I used it as a basis for added texture for the digitally coloured version.

Starting off with some thumbnail sketches, inked drawing based on a rough 3D model, watercolour pass and final digital colour work. It wasn’t until I started roughing out blocks in 3D that I thought of adding the busted up old ship!

Enjoy!

Thumbnail sketches

Inked Drawing 13″ x 9.5″ (within A3 paper size)

Watercolour version

Final Artwork

Detail

9 Responses to The Kindest Man in Stormland . Interzone #249

1. Tony Lovett says:

nice work Wayne! Really like the water colour on ink look, and you executed it very nicely.

2. Domenico says:

Absolutely amazing!

3. Steven says:

While I can see why you might be unhappy with the water colour version it’s certainly not bad. I hear water colour is hard to do.
    The final art work is good, it does indeed have a very graphic novel style.

• Ankaris says:

Hey Steven, thanks for the comment. Yes.. watercolour is not for the faint of heart. It’s true what John Carlson says in his book, Carlson’s Guide to Landscape Painting, that students should learn with oils as it is a forgiving medium and let the master use watercolour!

4. John Shirley says:

nice work! I like the inclusion of the catamaran and the storm in bg. Good composition! Great to see someone do REAL illustration instead of the pseudo art we get now where everyone’s using stock photos and a little tinting or something. This is actual, skilled art! John Shirley

• Ankaris says:

Thanks for the comment John and thanks for writing a great yarn. I can see that world fleshed out into a full novel.. or film!

“Skilled art..” The skilled part is debatable. I once read that the difference between real artists and illustrators was that artists stood at their easel, whilst illustrators sat at their desk!

5. Steven Dines says:

Great work, Wayne. Love this.